Thanksgiving is a time to celebrate everything we are thankful for with friends, family, and, of course, our pets. As you gobble up all the tasty dishes, keep in mind, it’s always a good idea to eat your greens. This green side is sure to please your grateful guests and pets. Here is a recipe for roasted broccoli with pine nuts and Parmesan. Save the broccoli stalk and give it to your dog as a yummy “veggie bone.” He’ll be glad to get the “ruffage.” Broccoli is as good for your pup as it is for you. It’s full of vitamins, such as A and C, as well as fiber, calcium and beta-carotene. It’s an excellent way to add nutrient-rich food to your dog’s diet.
Roasted Broccoli with Pine Nuts and Parmesan
1-2 large heads broccoli, depending on your guest/pup count, cut into 1 1/2-inch florets
1/4-1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Kosher salt (to taste)
Freshly ground pepper (to taste)
1/2-1 tablespoon garlic powder
1/2 cup-1 cup Parmesan
Juice of half a lemon
1/2 cup pine nuts
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2. On a large baking sheet, toss broccoli florets and stems with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Roast broccoli about 30 minutes, tossing halfway through, until browned and tender.
4. In a small skillet, toast pine nuts over medium heat until golden brown, about 4 minutes.
5. In a small bowl, whisk lemon juice with remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Season dressing with garlic powder, salt and pepper.
6. Scrape broccoli into a serving bowl. Add dressing, toasted pine nuts and Parmesan. Toss well.
Serve and enjoy!