Jesse of Alco Roofing + Siding
Jesse Kreisman, Sales Manager for Alco Products, Inc. sat down with us, and we asked the expert for tips on selecting a roofing/siding/window/door company. Founded in 1956, Alco Products has been a family-owned and operated business for three generations. With a showroom and design center in North Bethesda, the company prides itself on providing clients with top-rated service and the latest high-technology materials. Alco Products offers custom installation, lifetime warranties and a satisfaction guarantee.
“We aren’t into hard selling or upselling. We diagnose the problem and offer custom solutions based on our clients’ needs,” Jesse says.
Jesse’s Pro Tips
- Make sure the company you are hiring is actually licensed to work in the state where you live. Plenty of companies in this area work in Northern Virginia and Maryland and are licensed in both, but it is always important to double check and see their licenses.
- A company with longevity has the proven track record to provide quality service and workmanship. Choose a company that has been in business for more than 10 years. A company that has been around for more than 20 or 30 years is more likely to know what they are doing and have a proven track record of success.
- Check out a company’s rating with the Better Business Bureau, and check resources such as Google or Facebook for reviews before choosing your contractor.
- In addition to viewing before-and-after photos, ask the potential contractor if you can call one of their former clients as a reference.
- Most homes built before the early 2000s have roof systems that last roughly 20 years. At this point in the life of a roof, and depending on the severity of the issue, Alco may recommend a replacement roof including the underlayment of the roof system to weatherize and protect your home over the long-term. It can actually be more costly in the long run to continue repairing an old roof.
- If you are buying a home, make sure the home inspector evaluates the roof. If the roof is 15 to 20 years old, take into account the cost of a new roofing system when you make your offer.
- Alco uses the Integrity Roof System by CertainTeed, which has a 50-year warranty on certain roofing shingles. A superior roof is stronger than the sum of its parts. A quality roofing system involves the underlayment, shingles, accessory products and ventilation all working together day after day, year after year. The Integrity Roof System is designed to provide optimum performance, no matter the weather.
- Fiber cement siding and backerboard from James Hardie, also known as HardiePlank, HardieShingle or HardiePanel has fire-resistant properties. Alco is an elite preferred contractor of James Hardie siding. This popular material resembles wood, but is much more resistant to damage from weather as well as termites, carpenter bees and other pests.
- Don’t be afraid to ask your contractor lots of questions. They should be happy to share their expertise to ensure homeowners receive quality, cost-effective workmanship.
Learn more at AlcoProductsInc.com.